Today's Verse




Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A First for Katie and I this Weekend!

Time is getting away from me again! Since Mattie May has started school it just seems like we are busy every night!

This weekend, we went to Dallas. Katie and I attended a wedding on Sunday afternoon that went into the night. It was a first for both of us as it was a traditional Indian wedding. We Americans think we have the costly traditions for weddings but they don't hold a candle to what we saw this weekend. I am so thankful that Katie chose me to go with her. It is an experience that I will never forget. From the beautiful (and colorful!) saris that the women wore to the food we ate. It was all beyond description! The wedding was held at the Adolphus hotel, which was another first for both of us. We had never been to this hotel which was, for lack of adjectives, amazing!

Frank and Mattie May stayed at our hotel while we were at the wedding. They swam and ordered room service. That was a first for Mattie May. We have ordered pizza in our room before but not actual room service. I think she enjoyed it!

Monday, we headed to the Dallas Zoo. Of course, what Mixon trip would be complete without getting lost! Even with GPS technology, we seem to manage this every trip. This time we got lost in downtown Dallas. But as usually happens, we were glad we did. We found a historic cemetery and a memorial to cattle drives in front of the convention center. I guess that is what you would call it. I did take pictures so you can help me decide once I get them posted.

Hot and crowded, those are the adjectives I am choosing for the zoo. We had to park in the overflow, overflow, overflow parking! We almost didn't go, but try explaining that one to a four year old that you had already told you were taking to the zoo! Nope, that wasn't going to happen! It was fun and once inside, really wasn't that crowded. We had a really good time and Frank rode the monorail for the first time. Or the hot box as our guide described it! They normally don't allow food or drink on the train, but due to the heat we were allowed to take drinks on. Thank you Dallas Zoo. I hope to have pictures of this later this week.

I hope everyone had an enjoyable long weekend. I will have more first pictures from last week soon. I have to finish my fair entries today. My mom laughed and said it reminded her of the "good ol' days" trying to finish 4-H projects into the wee hours of the night. I guess some things never change!

No comments: