I called this morning and set up my surgery.
It is set for July 16.
That is not the soonest they had, but she doesn't want me to travel within three weeks of the surgery.
We leave for the US Open on July 1, and there was nothing available before June 18, only two weeks out. I'm sure it will be for the best.
Now, I realize I just went to the plastic surgeon yesterday. But this wasn't my first consultation with her.
I was originally going to have immediate reconstruction after my mastectomy but changed my mind at the last minute.
Because the reconstruction is not immediate, there are a few minor changes to the procedure but nothing really big.
And I also have been doing a lot of research on the different types of reconstruction.
On the top of my list was the DIEP flap, I had not talked to the plastic surgeon about it. I had several questions that applied to my personal case that couldn't be answered by research on the computer.
After getting those questions answered, talking to Frank and doing just a little bit more research, it was easy to make the decision that I was going to have the reconstruction using silicone implants as I had originally chosen.
Will I be happy with that decision? I don't know. I haven't done it yet.
Can it be changed in the future? Yes, so who knows how I will feel about it in a few years. I may decide to just go to nothing.
Is there anything that any one of us can no for certain about the future? Not really. But I do know that whatever happens...
Everything is going to be OK.
Until next time,